Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sending for an Inquest

I was more determined than ever to find out my great grandmother's last name and what really happened to Adam.  

Genealogy can become very expensive at first.  All of the death records and marriage records that I obtained from Illinois cost $7 each.  I took Adam's black death record to a photo shop and had it blown up to an 8x10 photo so that I could figure out my great grandmother's maiden name.  Twenty bucks down the drain - it did not work either - I did not know Polish names well enough to be able to figure the name out and it was scribbled like an upside down bent L trailing down the side of the record.  In other words, it was unreadable.  I will not give up I cried in my heart!

Thinking like a detective, I sent for the suicide inquest. After I received it, I was so sad to hear the story that no one would tell me.  Back in the early 1900s, there was such a shame mode in the air that everything was hush hush - don't talk about it and that is the way it stayed. Adam died at the Pullman Hospital.

Pullman Hospital


1 comment:

Paulette said...

...and the saga continues.

01 09 10