Monday, June 13, 2011

Jubilee

A Jubilee for the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers was held today.  Members brought 10 beautiful vintage quilts, crocheted doilies, handmade family trees, and anything that was old and handmade.  I even saw purple grapes like my grandmother made back in the 60s.  The grapes were about the size of a golf ball and had wires on the end of them so that they could be twisted around a piece of wood to look like a giant-sized grape vine with fully ripe with fruit.



Song: The Daughters of the Utah Pioneers

Let us turn our mem'rys back, far along those dreary tracks,
To a band of pilgrims filled with hope and pray'rs.
They had left their homes their all, to obey the Father's call,
They were later called the Utah Pioneers.

Finding here the promised land, 'mid those mountain vales so grand,
They were honest, serving God who brought them thro'.
Nice log houses they did build, with large families they were fill'd.
Oh they surely builded better than they knew.

Then all honor to their name,
Who have given us this fame.
As we meet from day to day,
Let us lift our hearts and say,
We are Daughters of those grand old Pioneers.

We had a grand spread of salads, fruit salads, cut up melons, bananas, jello, KFC chicken and freshly made chocolate chip cookies for our luncheon. Two young women sung three old songs from my parents era: Sentimental Journey, By the Light of the Silvery Moon and Swinging on a Star.

I did not take my camera today but I took pictures of my grandmother's quilt which has soft and cuddly memories.  In my mind, I can see her cutting and sewing quilts. I see material in her quilt that was a dress and a couple of skirts that were made for me. She didn't have fancy patterns, measuring devices or cutting wheels.  She made her own template from a piece of cardboard, used regular scissors and her old treadle Singer Sewing Machine.

Grandma never threw anything away.  She used up old coats and dresses and made hand braided rugs (one was the size of a 10 x 12 room only it was round).

1 comment:

Paulette said...

Beautiful quilt and tender memories. I love both of them.

01 09 10