Monday, January 9, 2012

Bustle in front

Yesterday my one year old granddaughter, who by the way is walking everywhere now, was wearing this adorable delicate cotton pale pink dress with itty bitty flowers on the bottom of the skirt. It was trimmed in a thin line of liliac velvet. This dress fit her perfectly but it had the unusual shape of a front bustle.  Now, I think that bustles are supposed to be in the back not the front.  Of course, bustles are not fashionable in this day and age except for in Hungary. It totally reminded me of a dance troupe from Hungary that I saw many years ago in Ogden. All the girls had skirts that had an unusual bustle.  It was as if they had placed a brick underneath their skirts just at the waist so that the skirt pushed outward in back in a very odd shape. They were excellent dancers by the way and it was a thoroughly enjoyable event. Going back to the pale pink dress, it did not have an underskirt to make it flair out so where did this bustle in the front come from.

Hungarian dance troupe with bottles of red wine on their heads.

3 comments:

Jo said...

How on earth do they keep bottles of red wine on their heads whilst dancing?

Paulette said...

You should have taken a picture with your phone.

Mimi and Tilly said...

Hi Ruth, how are you? I'm enjoying my blogg ing break, as I'm managing to catch up with myself, but I do miss my bloggy friends. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. I'll be back very soon with regular posts. Big hugs. I hope 2012 is a wonderful year for you. Em xx

01 09 10