Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August 8

Monterey schools begin really early for some unknown reason, starting at least two weeks earlier than Utah schools. Mom and dad were at the hospital at 6 AM. I fixed a nice hot pancake breakfast for older brother Sean and giggly Rachael before their car pool picked them up for school. Eighteen-month-old super baby Naomi and I took off for the hospital in the van. Normally, it takes 10 minutes to drive to the hospital; it took me 40 minutes. I got lost and drove around and around. I kept ending up on the road that goes to Cannery Row in Monterey. Finally, I figured it out with the directions my daughter left me; I found 399a exit off the freeway which took me right to the hospital.


Community Hospital of Monterey Peninsula

Never in a dozen years would I have guessed that this was a hospital. It looked more like a gorgeous white mansion. After I found the maternity ward, I asked about my daughter and she was still in the delivery room.  Apparently, there were two emergency deliveries before her delivery so baby Shannon was not born until almost 8:30 AM.

Later, I drove back to the house and picked up excited Sean and Rach. I drove to the hospital in 10 minutes this time.

 First peek and touch of baby Shannon.  

Later, we visited the fish.
Giant Koi orange, black and white gold fish swim in an enormous fish pool in the middle of the building.

Over the fish pond was a gigantic sky light.

Meals were brought to my daughter by kitchen help who wore tuxedo vests, shirts and bow ties. The only thing missing from the tuxedo were the jackets. 

7 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

After just delivering a baby I'd imagine your daughter deserved waiter service!!
Jane x

June said...

Sweet photos of the children with the fish and, of course, the new arrival!
June

Susan said...

Congratulations on the new grandbaby, Ruth. What beautiful children your daughter has! Wow! Happy for all of you. The hospital does, indeed, look luxurious. Susan p.s. Thanks for all the visits and comments to my blog, too!

NanaDiana said...

Amazing hospital! What a sweet little baby and I love the picture of the little one catching her first peek at the new baby- Blessings- xo diana

Jo said...

It looks like a very posh hospital, only the best when you've just done all that hard labour. So worth it though, all four children are beautiful.

Anne said...

You did say that was a hospital? It looks more like a 5 star hotel to me!!

Snap said...

Congratulations on the new babe!

01 09 10