Friday, January 17, 2014

Historic Main Street

Linking to:
Friday's Fences
Friday My Town Shoot Out
Weekend Reflections
Shadow Shot Sunday

Rusty old fence over a snow covered creek.

One of the buildings on Historic Main Street became a steakhouse in 1971 called Porter's Place. Named after Porter Rockwell. (There are 19 buildings on Main Street on the National Register for Historic Buildings.)


Our little town has a definite Western flair along with a very popular yearly rodeo with reserved seats available on bleachers. Those little brown hitching posts are a new addition to Main Street.


Sarsaparilla anyone?


They serve really good steaks and have the smallest salad bar you have ever seen but let me tell you, folks around here don't come for salad. They want steak and all the trimmings.  Taint a fancy place, just a bit rustic inside. Buffalo steaks are even on the menu and I tried some once and was surprised at how tasty it was. 



Porter Rockwell operated the Hot Springs Brewery Hotel near the point of the mountain while living in Lehi. He was a bodyguard to Joseph Smith who prophesied that as long as he did not cut his hair, nothing could harm Port. He lead a very colorful life and yet remained a faithful member of the Mormon church. 

 If you are curious as what he looked like and a little more about him, click on this link for a biography.

Porter's Place which was the only steak house in town now has some competition because about five years ago, a new steak house moved onto the east end of Main Street but they don't serve Buffalo.

I always said when we first moved here, that there were more horses here than people but sad to say, that is not true anymore.


32 comments:

Mersad said...

I like all those little shops, stacked together next to each other. I would love to take a stroll through your town.

Tanya Breese said...

what a great little street and that steakhouse sounds exactly like my kind of place!

Rose said...

an interesting read...we just had a steak for our lunch...but I fixed it.

Jan n Jer said...

What a charming and interesting main street! All the talk of steak is making me want one now!!!

Giga said...

Ciekawa i ładna ulica. Do nowo otwartego lokalu poszłabym zjeść sałatkę, nie stek. Pozdrawiam.
Interesting and pretty street. To the newly opened premises'd go eat a salad, not the steak. Yours.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

yes, please i will take a sarsaparilla (i had to look that up in the dictionary, i didn't look right to me?!? My Grandma Ruby has not rubbed off on me, she was an English teacher & very particular about spelling correctly) i love them. don't drink them often. birch beer is similar. when we were on our last out west trip last year in 2013. there was a lady asking what a sarsaparilla tasted like? it made me giggle ... to think some one didn't know what a sarsaparilla would taste like. that needs to be fixed immediately. ha. ha!! have a lovely day. ( :

'Tsuki said...

What a cute little place ! I'd enjoy a sarsaparilla there (I would be very curious to discover the taste of this beverage, completly unknown in France), I'm always happy when I'm surrouded by books !

Poppy said...

Feels like a contemporary 'old west' kinda main street. Love all the signs. Great photos and tidbits on the food!

Happy weekend!

Poppy

Viera said...

what a great shop windows reflection... amazing architecture...

Unknown said...

Great photos and wonderful narrative here. I was surprised at the spelling of that drink too, not like I suspected.

Paulette said...

Your town looks fascinating, I hope to visit in the near future.

Ed said...

I enjoyed your reflections, as well as the great story about your town. So much history there.

GingerV said...

This made me feel homesick - in Brasil we would say Saudade which has a meaning deeper than homesick. Your town looks so much like the downtown of Cottonwood Az where I grew up in the 50 - 60s . Rustic detail in the very literal sense.

Barb said...

You have a lovely little town, but seriously, I'm craving one of those steaks....

EG CameraGirl said...

Yes, the street does look very western to me. ;)

James said...

Looks like a nice place. The buildings remind me of buildings in small Texas towns. Now I want a steak. :-)

The Artful Diva said...

For some reason, your town and post reminds me of the Trisha Yearwood song "Cowboys are my Weakness."

colleen said...

Nice little walk through downtown.

Lola said...

A wonderful virtual stroll through your delightful town!

Wonderful blog too.

LV said...

A great city.I enjoyed the tour. Looks like you got two different fences in your shot.

Louisette said...

Beautifull fotos in your post, have a nice sunday.

NatureFootstep said...

there are a lot of things going on in your images. Takes a while to look at them. :)

Jack said...

There is a lot of old-fashioned charm here.

Thanks for visiting my blog. If you think I am going to respond to the comment about a beautiful pink behind, you got another think coming!

Carletta said...

That's an impressive number of historical buildings. The town really is doing something right. I certainly commend them. My hometown chose to redo the facades and tear old buildings down to the point it's 'glory days' is unrecognizable.
Loved the shots!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

The shadowy shots of your little town are just delightful!

Catching Sunrise, Carrying Light

Gillena Cox said...

very interesting, thanks for sharing, have a nice Sunday

happy you stopped over at my blog


much love...

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

19 is impressive! Even more impressive is the sarsaparilla shadow. Such a funky place! Feels like time travel.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

it is a pretty little place....I could go for a sarsaparilla and a nice big steak right about now

TheChieftess said...

Looks like your town is way smaller than our small town!!! Any known reason why grandad changed his name???

Pauline said...

I know I'd like your hometown, Ruth. It must be a photographer's dream. Your shots this week have a lovely moody charm.

BLOGitse said...

Slurp! nam, Buffalo...It's been a while I've had a really good steak!
Have a great week ahead!
BLOGitse

J9 said...

I love that there are so many historic builings in your downtown, and I love sarsaparilla - don't get it too often though.

01 09 10