Saturday, October 22, 2011

Return to Sender

I am a true blue Elvis fan but not a nutty one. I heard the funniest thing on the XM radio on the Elvis Station from Graceland. When the US Post Office put out the Elvis stamp, all the Elvis fans bought his stamps, including myself but I must admit that I never tried anything as funny as I heard today. 


Many Elvis fans put his stamp on an envelop with a bogus mailing address so that the post office would stamp "Return to Sender" on the envelop and then it was returned to them - done in honor of his song "Return to Sender".  I don't know of anyone who doesn't adore that song except my son-in-law who doesn't like Elvis.


Apparently, it was one of the most controversial stamps put out.  Even congress was discussing the it. Another stamp that was a contender was the one below:


There were contests to see which stamp America wanted. Where was I?  I never knew about all this storm over a stamp. Where were you when it came out?

No comments:

01 09 10