The Knights Templar had been given land in Llangarewi (Garway) by King Henry II in 1180. These warrior monks immediately rebuilt the Saxo-Celtic Church in the usual circular nave and square chancel style, imitating the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. The chancel survives but the circular nave has only been revealed through excavation. The once detached fortress-like tower was later built as a place of safety during Welsh border raids. The Knights had their Commandery on the site of the present Church Farm and the income from this Manor helped pay for many Crusading campaigns in the Holy Land. The place was so important that it even gained a visit from the Order's Grand master, James de Molay, in 1294.
Footings from the templar era
The areas of Much Dewchurch, Orcop, Garway, and other villages throughout the Golden Valley (Michaelchurch, St. Margarets, Peterchurch and Dorstone) were all part of Wales before the border was changed during the Norman Conquest.
The ceiling inside Garway Church
Inside Garway Church
These little villages are next to the Black Hills of Wales.
Linking to InSPIREd Sunday