Monday, February 24, 2014

Quartzite to Yuma, Arizona

Connecting to Monday Mellow Yellows

In my journey through Arizona, I stopped at Quartzite where an enormous gem, RV and food fair was being held.  I can't say that I was very impressed except that I have never seen so many RV cities in my lifetime surrounding Quartzite.

The signs that stood right out as I was heading south to Yuma was "Watch out for Burros" and "Do not Enter When Flooded".


The most common sign in Arizona.
I ran across a blog called Travel With E which has a wonderful group of photos of the wild burros and stories about them.  Check it out!

After reading this blog, I wish I had taken a some time to stop at Oatman, AZ.

Every few miles was another RV city and huge Canadian RV settlements flying their flag; they apparently spend their winters in Arizona. I did not take one photo in Quartzite but roamed among the vendors for about two hours.



 This was taken in Old Town Yuma. There were acres and acres of green crops growing just before I reached Yuma.  It made me think of the green crops in Monterey valley, California. I was really tempted to stop and buy fresh figs from a farm but I was seriously low on petrol so I missed out.


Down the block, they have a well used old time dance hall here. I attended a dance on Saturday night with western type ballroom dance music and most in attendance were senior couples. There was one couple who were both in their 90's who could barely walk  but they were out there dancing their hearts out.
Close to the Colorado River in Yuma. Across the river is California.
I stayed in Yuma two nights and decided to heard toward Tucson;
too many sirens in Yuma.

8 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I am always amazed at how tall saguaro cactus can grow!

NanaDiana said...

Sounds like you are enjoying your travels, Ruth. Are you traveling by yourself? Those big RV camps are just amazing, aren't they? xo Diana

Hazel said...

I was home for Christmas and stayed a month more before going back to work; saw my mother's photos of her new friends. I didn't realize she now belongs to the town's senior citizens group. And they had this dancing thing too. It was cute to see old people doing ballroom dancing.

Gemma Wiseman said...

So many interesting views of Yuma. But especially love the first photo of the huge cactus.

Small City Scenes said...

Arizona is very interesting. I had a chance to go to a small near Phoenix last year. It was fun and we traveled around. Went to the Superstition Mts. and dug in the dirt. It was fun. MB

Small City Scenes said...

Oops, I meant to say small town. MB

Rajesh said...

Wonderful shots from Arizona.

orvokki said...

Your trip is interesting. Everything is new for me (never been in USA).

01 09 10